WikiPilipinas articles are all linked, or cross-referenced. This means that when you search for information on a topic, you can usually count on finding a list of related articles linked through keywords and categories.
Where you see text like this, it means there is a link to some relevant article or WikiPilipinas page with further information elsewhere if you need it. Holding your mouse over the link will often show you where a link will take you.
There are other links towards the ends of most articles, for other articles of interest, relevant external web sites and pages, and reference material. At the end of the article are relevant categories which you can search for further related information in a field.
Some articles may also have links to dictionary definitions, quotations, or the same article in other languages.
You can add further links if a relevant link is missing, and this is one way to contribute.
WikiPilipinas has twelve major knowledge areas and two special portals. The major portals are linked prominently in the main page while the special portals are linked from the browsing bar on top of the index page.
Featured content can also be found in the main page. This content covers feature articles, news items, event notices, special lists, and blog posts.
Clicking on portal links will take you to the main portal pages containing sub-portals, topic outlines and portal-specific featured content.
Contents and index browsing
WikiPilipinas contains a huge amount of information on all sorts of subjects: Media and Entertainment, People and Society, Sports and Leisure, Government and Politics, Culture and Arts, Philippine History, Economy and Business, Geography and Travel, Science and Technology, Religion and Beliefs, and Communities, as well as a Philippine Web Directory.
WikiPilipinas manages its content through lists and indices organized according to subject or alphabetically. We also have special categories such as featured content lists and ranked pages.
Every article has a list at the bottom of all the major categories it belongs to. For example Regine Velasquez is listed under:
- Category:Philippine Entertainment, Category:Philippine Musicians, Category:Philippine Singers, Category:Philippine Actress, Category:Philippine Celebrities, Category:Filipino Firsts
Each of these categories can be browsed and is linked to related categories in a loose hierarchy.
See the list of categories on the Main Page.
To the side of each article are some standard options for navigation and tools.
Navigation options include:
- Home - the WikiPilipinas home page
- WikiPinoys - the WikiPilipinas volunteer portal
- WikiPilipinas:Help - exactly what it says
- WikiPilipinas:Newsroom - read the latest updates and announcements about WikiPilipinas.
- Upload file - how you add images (and occasionally other files) to WikiPilipinas
- Special pages - all the special functions and administration options can be found here.
- Related changes
Other sidebar functions include:
- Search - allows you to search other articles across the whole of WikiPilipinas.
- Forum - interact with other WikiPilipinas users.
Top tabs (above the article)
Each page in WikiPilipinas contains an article, and a discussion page (usually called Talk''''Bold text').
The discussion page is the tab to the right of the article page. These are treated as two separate pages in WikiPilipinas, but are shown side by side on the tab bar, for ease of use.
- Edit this page - this is the key to contributing to WikiPilipinas. When you click this button, you change from viewing an article or discussion about an article, to being able to edit the article, or add comments to the discussion that is going on.
- Occasionally, pages that are important or may be vandalized are locked. If you wish to edit these pages please contact the sysops through the talk page.
- Page editing is simple with WikiPilipinas, and you cannot harm a page if you make a mistake, since all changes can be undone. This is part of WikiPilipinas's vandal protection.
- Watch/unwatch - adds or removes a page from your watchlist, the list of pages you are tracking. You can view your watchlist with the user option button "my watchlist" at the top right of the screen.
User options (top right)
These control your user account. To create a user account you only need to choose a name and a password. An email address is optional and only used for password reminders. For information about creating an account see WikiPilipinas:Help:Creating an account.
Unless you create an account you will not be able to customize WikiPilipinas preferences for yourself. .
The user options also include links to view your watchlist (articles you are tracking), and contributions you have made.